It's a rare occurrence in the winter. But the weather is decent and my children have all disappeared outside to play. After all, how can chores and school compete with the allure of dragons, castles, and maidens in distress? Since we only have one maiden in the family, I think Chuy is often substituted for another. Downside of being the youngest. So here I sit in the quiet for a minute, writing some thoughts.
We took Danae, Drew, and Rachel to see The Hobbit 2 a few nights ago. As images of spiders and dragons popped off the screen (3D is fun), I got the rare opportunity to hold my son's hand. It's not that he's unaffectionate or embarrassed of his mom. I'm just usually surrounded by little hands that need holding. Little demands. Little squabbles. My big boy lives in a world all his own. He is surrounded by super heroes, lego people, mario, transformers, puppy dogs, kitty cats and a myriad of other imaginary creatures who need him to save the world. He's a lot like I was as a kid. Except my playmates were fairies, princesses, evil step mothers, enchantments, unicorns and handsome princes.
Drew's imaginary scope is incredible. Apparently even in his sleep. While camping this last year, I got to experience several of his dreams second hand. He would talk, shout and walk in his sleep. One night, while I was up getting a drink, he sat up, looked at me and exclaimed, "That is a COOL picture!" It's not uncommon for him to wander into the living room, an hour after he's fallen asleep, seemingly awake and very urgent about whatever he's doing.
"Why are you up son?"
Fidget. "Well. I was. Uh. I mean." Fidget. Point randomly at something. "Uh......uh..."
"Go back to bed, son"
"Oh. Ok"
He comes by it naturally. David and I were both sleepwalkers. I actually remember being upset that my parents didn't understand how important it was for me to clean the upstairs bathroom one night. It took some work for them to get me back to bed.
One night, or more likely the wee small hours, David shook me awake.
"Hey.....Hey. I need to talk to you. I'm just really concerned about our house. We're just not doing a very good job of taking care of it."
Shaking my sleep addled brain awake, I stared at him. How dare he wake me up in the middle of the night to tell me I'm not doing my job?! I mean.....sure. With two babies, the house wasn't perfect. But, really?!? And, yes. In case you were wondering. I do take everything personally at two o'clock in the morning.
"WHAT?" I replied, ready for a fight.
David started, looked at me blearily and said, "oh." He laid down, rolled over, and began snoring softly.
I laid awake for another hour arguing with him in my head.
All that to say, there are so many ways my Drewboy is a chip off the old block. I treasure my time with him because I know it's growing short. I'm going to wake up tomorrow and he'll be grown and gone. I need to find more opportunities to hold his hand while I still can.
We took Danae, Drew, and Rachel to see The Hobbit 2 a few nights ago. As images of spiders and dragons popped off the screen (3D is fun), I got the rare opportunity to hold my son's hand. It's not that he's unaffectionate or embarrassed of his mom. I'm just usually surrounded by little hands that need holding. Little demands. Little squabbles. My big boy lives in a world all his own. He is surrounded by super heroes, lego people, mario, transformers, puppy dogs, kitty cats and a myriad of other imaginary creatures who need him to save the world. He's a lot like I was as a kid. Except my playmates were fairies, princesses, evil step mothers, enchantments, unicorns and handsome princes.
Drew's imaginary scope is incredible. Apparently even in his sleep. While camping this last year, I got to experience several of his dreams second hand. He would talk, shout and walk in his sleep. One night, while I was up getting a drink, he sat up, looked at me and exclaimed, "That is a COOL picture!" It's not uncommon for him to wander into the living room, an hour after he's fallen asleep, seemingly awake and very urgent about whatever he's doing.
"Why are you up son?"
Fidget. "Well. I was. Uh. I mean." Fidget. Point randomly at something. "Uh......uh..."
"Go back to bed, son"
"Oh. Ok"
He comes by it naturally. David and I were both sleepwalkers. I actually remember being upset that my parents didn't understand how important it was for me to clean the upstairs bathroom one night. It took some work for them to get me back to bed.
One night, or more likely the wee small hours, David shook me awake.
"Hey.....Hey. I need to talk to you. I'm just really concerned about our house. We're just not doing a very good job of taking care of it."
Shaking my sleep addled brain awake, I stared at him. How dare he wake me up in the middle of the night to tell me I'm not doing my job?! I mean.....sure. With two babies, the house wasn't perfect. But, really?!? And, yes. In case you were wondering. I do take everything personally at two o'clock in the morning.
"WHAT?" I replied, ready for a fight.
David started, looked at me blearily and said, "oh." He laid down, rolled over, and began snoring softly.
I laid awake for another hour arguing with him in my head.
All that to say, there are so many ways my Drewboy is a chip off the old block. I treasure my time with him because I know it's growing short. I'm going to wake up tomorrow and he'll be grown and gone. I need to find more opportunities to hold his hand while I still can.
No comments:
Post a Comment